Self Help - Click on any topic below for more information
Frequently Requested Phone Numbers
- City Attorney: 406-552-6020
- Community Service: 406-541-9200
- Crime Victim Advocates (Order of Protection): 406-258-3830
- Missoula County District Court: 406-258-4780
- Missoula County Jail: 406-258-4000
- Missoula County Justice Court: 406-258-3470
- Missoula Police Dept. (non-emergency): 406-552-6300
- Parking Commission: 406-552-6250
- Record and Driver Control (Helena): 406-444-3933
- State Public Defender's Office: 406-523-5140
- Turning Point (ACT and MDD classes): 406-532-9800
- Please submit all necessary documents to the court for Judge's review.
- If granted, the Court will issue a Temporary Order of Protection that will need to be served upon the Respondent by a Sheriff's Deputy or other Process Server.
- A court date will scheduled within 20 days. Hearings are held Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
- Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to testify at the hearing, where the judge will determine if the Order of Protection will be continued on a permanent basis.
- Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to hire an attorney; however, it is not required.
- There is no fee to file for a Temporary Order of Protection or permanent Order of Protection in Missoula Municipal Court.
- Please review the Checklist below to familiarize yourself with documents used in petitioning for and filing for an Order of Protection.
Order of Protection Documents
- Petition for Temporary Order of Protection (PDF)
- Law Enforcement Service Information (front) (PDF)
- Law Enforcement Service Information (back) (PDF)
- Temporary Order of Protection Cover Sheet (PDF)
- Temporary Order of Protection and Order Setting Hearing (PDF)
- Checklist for Temporary Order of Protection (PDF)
- Confidential Address and Phone Number Request Form (PDF)
- Motion to Continue Order of Protection Hearing (PDF)
Record Search Request Procedure
Municipal Record Search
If you need a record search, Municipal Court will be happy to assist you. The search will cover citations which have been issued in Municipal Court through the City of Missoula Police Department, Animal Control, the University of Montana. the City-County Health Department, and complaints written through the Missoula CIty Attorney office.
Please print and fill out the completed Records Request Form and submit to:
Municipal Court-Record Searches
435 Ryman Street
Missoula, MT 59802
Search fees are applied as follows:
- Government agencies may request a record search free of charge.
- All other requests: $5.00 search fee and $0.25 per page, with first two pages free.
If you have any questions please contact Municipal Court at 406-552-6169. Record searches may take up to 10 days to complete.
A subpoena is a court order that requires a person to appear in court to give testimony or to present documents and related articles to be produced as evidence at a hearing. A process server or officer will serve a witness personally with a subpoena. The City Attorney may also ask a witness to appear voluntarily without serving a subpoena.
If you have received a subpoena, follow the instructions on it. Failing to follow a subpoena is considered contempt of court and a warrant may be issued for your arrest.
Hearings and Appearances
What to Bring to Court
Before you come to court, here are the things you should bring with you:
- Proper Identification (driver's license, Montana ID, passport)
- Your copy of the citation Done Editing
- Appearance letter and/or court documents
- Any receipts regarding your case (i.e. bond receipts, cash bail receipts, etc.)
- Any documents which prove compliance with the judge's orders and/or sentencing
- Method of payment (money, credit card, checkbook, debit card)
- Do not use nicknames or alias; use the same spelling as listed on documents related to the case, and ensure spelling listed on documents is correct. If they are not, please advise the court
- Provide the court with your current address
- Dress - appropriate dress is required. No obscene slogans on clothing, hats, or cell phones. Shirt and shoes are required
Warning Please note if you fail to appear in court as ordered, the court may issue a warrant.
For more information, comments, or questions contact us at 406-552-6180.