Can I file a complaint about the property I am renting?

Yes. If you feel the property you are renting has life-safety issues you may fill out this online complaint form with as much information as possible and a member of our code compliance team will reach out to you. The person making the complaint must still have access to the property/unit so that an inspection can be performed. 

Mold:  We do not test for mold and are not qualified or equipped to make that determination. Mold issues in your rental property are an issue that should be addressed by you and your landlord. It is the responsibility of the landlord to make repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition. It is the duty of the tenant to keep that part of the premises that the tenant occupies and uses as reasonably clean and safe as the condition of the premises permits. You should always try to work with your landlord first to resolve problems involving mold.

Free Legal Resources for Tenants: In the case of landlord/tenant disputes, please refer to the Montana Landlord Tenants’ Rights & Responsibilities information available at the Montana Department of Justice website in the resources section below. The Montana Legal Services Association can often provide assistance to renters and has resources for obtaining repairs from landlords and other information on leases, rental agreements and security deposits.

Show All Answers

1. Electrical Permit Information and Questions
2. Plumbing Permit Information and Questions
3. Mechanical Permit Information and Questions
4. Demolition Permit Quesitons
5. Do I need a Building Permit?
6. What inspections are required?
7. When do permits or applications expire?
8. Can I file a complaint about the property I am renting?