When do I need to submit a background check?

A background check is required in the following situations, but not limited to: 

  • Any owner/employee working on existing residential property (excludes un-occupied, new builds)
  • Contractors and handyman services (except state licensed Plumbers and Electricians)
  • Any person/business offering janitorial or cleaning services (commercial and residential)
  • All Itinerant or Mobile Vendors

Some examples of when a background check is required include: home healthcare, locksmiths, contractors, landscapers / tree trimmers, sprinklers, mowing, snow plowing, etc. Anytime you are working on residential property or within residences, a background check is required.

The employer shall be responsible to see that each employee has submitted the background check application within ten days of employment. 

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a business license?
2. How do I know which license to apply for?
3. When do I need to register my tourist home or short term rental?
4. How do I check the status of my license?
5. Is my LLC, Sole Proprietorship, or registration with the state the same thing as a City of Missoula business license?
6. When does my license expire?
7. Can I search for business licenses, tourist homes, or commercial rental registrations located or working in the City of Missoula?
8. Can I transfer my Business License?
9. Can I open in my business before I receive the business license?
10. How do I close my business?
11. I work out of my home. Do I need a City of Missoula Business License?
12. When do I need to submit a background check?
13. If I set up at the Farmers Market or Saturday Market, is a license required?
14. How are Business License fees calculated?
15. What happens if I do not renew my annual City of Missoula Business License?
16. What happens if I have moved my business to a new location?
17. What happens if my general liability policy and/or required bonds are cancelled or expired?
18. What if I close my business and want to reopen it within the same year?
19. What if I no longer perform Excavation or S/C/P in my business?