When do I need to register my tourist home or short term rental?

You are considered a tourist home if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • Your property lies within the Missoula City Limits
  • You are offering short term stays, less than 30 days
  • You are offering your entire home/condo/apartment/ADU as a vacation rental, with a separate entrance and living area
  • You will not be sharing any common area or spaces inside the home/residence (i.e. kitchen, bathroom, living room)

You are not considered a tourist home if:

  • You will only be renting a portion of your home, simliar to a Bed and Breakfast. If you are running a Bed and Breakfast, you will need to apply for a General Business License
  • You are renting your own home to occupants for greater than 30 consecutive days, and you are the landlord. If you are renting multiple properties and acting as a property management company, you would apply for one of the following: 
    • A General Business License, if you are hiring out your handyman, maintenance and/or repair services to a licensed and insured contractor, who holds an active city Contractor Business License.
    • A Contractor Business License, if you are handling your own property maintenance and/or repairs, painting, flooring etc.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a business license?
2. How do I know which license to apply for?
3. When do I need to register my tourist home or short term rental?
4. How do I check the status of my license?
5. Is my LLC, Sole Proprietorship, or registration with the state the same thing as a City of Missoula business license?
6. When does my license expire?
7. Can I search for business licenses, tourist homes, or commercial rental registrations located or working in the City of Missoula?
8. Can I transfer my Business License?
9. Can I open in my business before I receive the business license?
10. How do I close my business?
11. I work out of my home. Do I need a City of Missoula Business License?
12. When do I need to submit a background check?
13. If I set up at the Farmers Market or Saturday Market, is a license required?
14. How are Business License fees calculated?
15. What happens if I do not renew my annual City of Missoula Business License?
16. What happens if I have moved my business to a new location?
17. What happens if my general liability policy and/or required bonds are cancelled or expired?
18. What if I close my business and want to reopen it within the same year?
19. What if I no longer perform Excavation or S/C/P in my business?