Tourist Home

What is a Tourist Home?

A Tourist Home, commonly known as a short term rental, is the rental of a dwelling unit on a daily or weekly basis. A dwelling unit is defined in section 20.100.010, most commonly a single family residence, apartment, or Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU).

Do you need to register your Tourist Home?

Does the dwelling unit meet any of the following criteria?

  • This unit is the property owner's or long-term tenant's primary residence, or
  • This rental is only part of the entire unit, such as a room or floor of the residence, or
  • This unit is rented for more than 30 days at a time. 

If you answered yes, then you do not need to register your Tourist Home

Registration is required when the entire unit is being rented on a daily or weekly basis and it is not a primary residence.

Operation of a Tourist Home may be prohibited by homeowner association covenants, condominium by-laws, or other contracts and agreements not governed by the City of Missoula. Check before you register.

Registration Process

Required forms and documents for application:

How to Apply

  1. Complete your application
  2. Email all required documents to or drop the application off at CPDI. 
  3. Permit & Business License Coordinators will email you once license is ready for payment. Tourist home registration fees are listed on the fee schedule.
  4. Once payment is made, departments will review and approve your application. 
  5. Tourist Homes will have two inspections: 

Tourist Home operators must also obtain a Public Accommodations License from the Missoula City-County Health Department (this is included with the City of Missoula registration packet) and register a Lodging Facility Sales and Use Tax account with the Montana Department of Revenue.

Renewing Your License

You must renew your registration each year. Tourist homes expire on January 31st each year. 

How to Renew Your License

  1. Online - You will receive an email to log in to the Accela Portal to make payment to renew your registration. 
  2. Check - Drop-off or mail a check. Registrations that do not renew online will receive a paper invoice. The bottom portion of the invoice and check should be submitted together.
  3. Over the Phone - Call 552-6060 once you have received the email or invoice reminding you to renew. Due to high call volumes, online or check is preferred.


Please remind your guests that they are staying in a residential area and request they respect your neighbor's enjoyment of their properties. Repeated violations of City Ordinances will result in revocation of the right to operate a Tourist Home.

Direct complaints about unregistered Tourist Homes to Development Services 406.552.6630. You may also complete a Citizen Complaint Form.

Direct complaints about nuisance issues at a Tourist Home to the Missoula City Police Department:
Non-emergencies 406.258.3452 | Emergencies 911

Contact Information

Current Planning & Land Use 
Zoning Desk

(406) 552-6625
Available hours: 10am-2pm

Permit & Business Licensing 
(406) 552-6060
Available hours: 9am-4pm

City County Health Department
301 W Alder, Missoula
(406) 258-4755

MT Department of Revenue
Citizen Services Call Center

Forms & Checklists