These projects are completed to either to repair older, failing, or undersized sewer mains or to improve the wastewater system’s capacity or functionality.
We will provide regular updates here and on Facebook as schedules are finalized or change. For more information, email Ross Mollenhauer at or call (406) 552-6764.
University Sewer Force Main Replacement Project
Maurice Ave. between 5th St. and 6th St.
Description: Replacing about 800 feet of 6-inch ductile iron pipe, installed in 1960, with 8-inch PVC pipe. The larger pipe will increase the capacity of the University Lift Station to accommodate increased incoming sewer flows, especially those experienced during University of Montana football games. Currently, wastewater collections staff must carefully monitor flows during each game and be prepared with on-site vacuum trucks in case a pump fails. Traffic will be detoured around the work area, and the public is encouraged to take an alternate route.
- The parking lot on the north end of Maurice Ave. will close on Friday, June 12, and will remain closed throughout the project.
- The bicycle lane on 5th St. will remain open to traffic.
- The ramp to the Kim Williams Trail north of 5th St. with be detoured beginning June 18 and will remain closed for the duration of the project. See link to trail detour map below.
- Maurice Ave. will be closed between 5th St. and 6th St. starting June 23 and will remain closed for the duration of the project. See link to project detour map below.
- Traffic on 6th St. will be shut down for night work from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. on June 30. See detour map below.
- Expect night work on July 6 at the north end of the Maurice Ave. parking lot while crews connect the new force main to the old one. Bypass pumping is needed and will be completed at night when sewage levels are low.
- Once paving begins on 5th and 6th streets, expect brief traffic interruptions and watch for detours.
Project Dates: Scheduled to begin Monday, June 15, 2020, with completion anticipated to be July 10. These dates are subject to change due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances.