Betty's Fund - Property Tax Relief Fund
The City of Missoula has created a fund for city property tax relief to qualified Missoula city residents on a
The Missoula City Property Tax Fund is solely funded through donations from Missoula residents and local businesses. These funds are directly allocated to seniors and disabled residents of the city who have applied for, and qualified for, property tax relief.
How Do I Qualify for These Benefits
The eligibility criteria for application submission are as follows:
- Residency - Applicants must have resided in the city and occupied the taxed property for the full calendar year prior to the submission deadline.
- Titled Owner - Applicant must be the titled owner of the property or hold a life estate in the property. If
titleis held by a trust, the applicant must be both a trustee and a 50% beneficiary of the trust in order to qualify.
- Elderly or Disabled - Applicants must be elderly or disabled.
- Eligibility Letter - In addition to a completed application, applicants must present a current copy of their eligibility letters from one or more of the following programs.
- Montana DPHHS stating their status for LIEAP benefits,
- Montana Department of Revenue Homeowner/Renter Income Tax Credit,
- Montana Department of Revenue Disabled Veterans' Assistance Program status, or
- Montana Department of Revenue Property Tax Assistance Program (PTAP).
How are These Benefits Awarded
Assistance will be awarded annually on a first come first served basis as allowed by the balance of donations within the fund. The city will not and cannot guarantee a level of assistance, or that any aid will be reoccurring. Extraordinary circumstances (e.g. an unusual expense burden such as a medical emergency) may be considered in the committee's or agency's deliberations and the decision
How Do I Apply to Receive the Property Tax Relief Fund Benefit
Applications (PDF) are available online or can be picked up from the City of Missoula Finance Department, 435 Ryman, or for more information please call (406) 552-6110. The application must be accompanied by a current proof of qualifications from one of the previously mentioned
How do I Donate to the Property Tax Relief Fund
If you would like to donate to the Property Tax Relief Fund send donations to the City of Missoula Finance Department, 435 Ryman, Missoula, MT 59802. Please indicate that it is for the Property Tax Relief Fund. You can also drop your donations off at the Finance Department on the second floor of city hall at 435 Ryman.