Ormesher Store / Moose Lodge Fire
140 W. Main St.
December 30, 1951
Shortly after noon on a cold blizzardy day in December 1951, smoke began to creep out of a two-story structure located at the Stevens-West Main St. intersection. At 1:31 p.m., an alarm was turned in. For the next 10 hours the Fire Department fought one of the stubbornest blazes in its history. About dusk the flames flared dangerously and the front wall toppled. After the dust settled a cry went up that three firemen were missing. Bernard J. Albright, Walter E. Cain, and Edward Sayler, young members of the department, had died in the service of the City. A plaque and photographs to their memory will be established on the wall of the new headquarters station.