How do I open a dispensary?

You will need to apply for a 420 License to open a dispensary in the City of Missoula. When choosing a business location for your dispensary (M - occupancy), we recommend trying to find a tenant space previously used as a retail store (M - occupancy) with a current City of Missoula business license. If dispensing is your only cannabis-related activity and you move into a space where the most recent approved use/occupancy classification was a retail store (M - occupancy), you will not be required to complete a change-of-use. You should also check with the Planning Department to verify if your use type will be allowed at your proposed location prior to applying for the 420 License. Please also note, the State of Montana - Cannabis Control Division will require a copy of your active 420 License as part of their review process. 

Planning Department: (406) 552-6625  
Link to GIS map: Coming soon!

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit or license?
2. How do I apply for a permit/license?
3. How does the review process work?
4. How do I schedule an inspection?
5. Will I need a change-of-use?
6. Will I need an Architect/Engineer?
7. Will I need mechanical, electrical or plumbing permits?
8. Can I install mechanical equipment, duct work, or exhaust fans myself?
9. I have un-permitted work I need to resolve in order to get my license, now what?
10. How do I open a dispensary?
11. What is the process for opening a cultivation business in the City of Missoula?
12. Can I grow Cannabis plants in my home?
13. What is the process for opening an extraction business in the City of Missoula?
14. How do I add a use to my existing business license or 420 license?
15. How do I increase the canopy area of my existing business license?
16. How is my canopy area calculated?
17. When is my business able to switch from medical to recreational?
18. Are there odor or air quality restrictions?
19. Are there energy use restrictions for cannabis cultivation?
20. How do I submit a complaint related to Cannabis?