It is important that we keep Missoula safe and attractive, and ensure that political signs are displayed in conformance with state and local regulations. Development Services staff has prepared a summary of the requirements for political campaign signs in the City of Missoula. If you intend to display campaign signs within city limits please see the City of Missoula's Political Campaign Sign Regulations below.
Political Campaign Sign Regulations
The following is a summary of the requirements for political campaign signs in the City of Missoula.
- Political signs are allowed without a sign permit.
- Political signs must be located on private property with the consent of the property owner.
- Political signs are limited to a maximum 20 square feet in size. There is no limit on the number of signs that may be displayed on one property.
- Political signs may be displayed without time limitation prior to the election but as a courtesy should be removed promptly after the election.
- Political signs are not permitted on any City rights-of-way, including the areas between the sidewalk and curb (boulevard areas) and within medians or traffic circles.
- Political signs may not be illuminated.
- Political Signs cannot be located within 100 feet of any entrance to a building in which a polling place is located.
Improperly placed signs including signs that pose a traffic hazard are subject to removal without notice by city employees, including but not limited to those of the Development Services, Public Works and Police Departments.
State regulations on Political Signs are contained in ARM 18.6.246 POLITICAL SIGNS.
City regulations are contained in Section 20.75.040 of the Missoula Municipal Code.
For additional information, please contact us at 406-552-6625 or send us an email.