This page is intended for your information only. All documents referenced here are for example only to better prepare yourself for the process and to get a jump start on a complete application. Do not submit any portion of the application packet outside of an open recruitment period.
Be sure to read the notice (PDF) for complete procedural information.
You will not be considered an applicant and we will take no further action unless your application includes all of the following documents noted:
- Applicant Checklist (PDF) to manage your application forms
- Standard Application for Position of Peace Officer (PDF) in the State of Montana signed by the applicant
- Missoula Police Department Personal History Statement (PDF) signed by the applicant
- Missoula Police Department Drug Use Questionnaire (PDF) completed by the applicant
- Missoula Police Applicant Letter of Understanding (PDF) signed by the applicant and witnessed by a notary public
- Authorization to Release Information (PDF) signed by the applicant and witnessed by a notary public
- Applicant Certification and Penalty Form (PDF) signed by the applicant and witnessed by a notary public
- Military Records SF180 (PDF) signed by the applicant
- Court-ordered Child Support Disclosure Form (PDF) signed by the applicant and witnessed by a notary public
- Voluntary Self-Reporting Form (PDF) (not required but the City of Missoula Human Resource Office would appreciate it if applicants would voluntarily submit the form provided)
- Two sets of fingerprints obtained by a law enforcement agency
- The Missoula Police Department fingerprints from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday; The fingerprint fee will be waived to applicants for the Missoula Police Department; Applicants who are fingerprinted elsewhere are responsible for any fees
- Montana Preference Law & Act (PDF) signed by the applicant
- Certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate
- Photocopy of the applicant's driver's license
- Photocopy of Selective Service Registration card, if applicable
- All marriage licenses and divorce decrees, if applicable
- Any name change documents, if applicable
- Military discharge papers (DD Form 214), if applicable
- GED certificate, if applicable
- Certified copies of all high school and/or college transcripts from which the applicant reports credits earned or graduation; These must be submitted with your application, and they must be in the original, sealed unopened envelope the school sent them in
- Do not have them sent directly to the Police Department but do not break the seal on the envelope when you receive it
- Valid passing scores on the Montana Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified Reading Skills, Writing Skills, and Law Enforcement tests and Montana Physical Agility test (MPAT).
- Written test scores are considered valid for 12 months after the date the tests were administered
- If you tested with the Missoula Police Department, you do not need to include these scores
- Do not have your scores sent directly to the Police Department, include them in your application packet copy of citizenship or naturalization papers, if applicable
- One credit report from each of the three major credit reporting bureaus dated no more than 30 days prior to the application submission. Do not provide any form of a "Three in One" free credit report.
- Documentation of any other factors that the applicant wishes to have considered
- If you are re-applying, please use this Re-Apply Applicant Checklist (PDF)