RECRUITMENT OPEN! MPD is looking to recruit new officers for hire, registration for applicant testing is open. Testing will be held on Saturday, August 24, 2019 at the University of Montana Adams Center. Click here to register.
Police Officers with the Missoula Police Department respond to public calls for service within the City of Missoula. They provide preventative patrol, enforcing state laws and city ordinances. Police officers conduct criminal and traffic investigations, make arrests and prepare necessary documentation and testify in court.
- As of July 1, 2018, the entry level pay for a Missoula Police Officer is $27.63 per hour.
- Most officers work four 10-hour shifts/week and rotate shifts every 90 days.
- 3 weeks paid vacation each year at the entry level
- 20 year Montana Municipal Police Officers Retirement
- 8 hours of paid sick leave accrual each month
- 11 paid holidays each year
- Uniform allowance and initial equipment issue
- Affordable health insurance for employee, spouse & dependents
- Sworn officers negotiate a contract through the collective bargaining unit of the Missoula Police Officer's Association.
- The Missoula Police Department has over 100 sworn officers of various ranks in three divisions: Patrol, Detectives and Administration.
- On-going professional training is a priority with in the department.
In order to participate in our recruitment process:
- You must have first passed the applicant eligibility test which consists of written and physical tests approved by the Missoula Police Department and the Montana Police Officers Standards and Training Council (P.O.S.T.). This department conducts eligibility testing one to two times a year.
- All applicants are now required to pass the Montana Physical Abilities Test (MPAT).
- Application packets will be provided to those who pass our test or can otherwise demonstrate successful testing requirements. For additional information, questions, to request an application packet, or speak with a member of the Missoula Police Department, call (406) 552-6289 or email a recruiter.
If you need study materials, we suggest purchasing through Stanard & Associates' Job Application Website.
Applications are not expected to be completed at the time of the eligibility test. Typically, applicants will have four weeks from the test date to complete the application packet. Many supplemental certified copies of documents and transcripts are required for a complete application. Be sure to review the applicant checklist for specific information.