Missoula Fire Department Firefighter Eligibility Qualifications
The Missoula Fire Department (MFD) is a full-time career department. We accept applicants on an annual basis and hire based on vacancy and budget allowances. We determine candidates based on qualifications which include experience, EMT requirements, certifications, and successful completion of both a written and physical test.
To be considered for employment, applicants must have a valid driver’s license, a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent certification, and be at least 18 years-of-age. Our department also requires that applicants be certified as an EMT-Basic with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT-B) or as a Montana EMT Basic.
2022 Firefighter Application Process
MFD's current application period for Probationary Firefighter Trainees is will open MAY 15, 2022. A typical application process will include:
- Completion of a City of Missoula online application and submittal of all required documents and certifications to the City of Missoula Human Resources Department.
- Register with Public Safety Testing (PST) to complete your required physical and written exams at Public Safety Testing (PST). For questions about the written exam or CPAT testing, please contact PST at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interviews for the Missoula Fire Department hiring pool will be conducted annually. To be considered for employment, potential hires must have completed and passed both the written and physical portions of the PST tests.
- Missoula Fire Department will post dates for our next application period as soon as they are available.
MFD is strongly recommending that you take your written and physical tests as soon as possible after dates are posted. Sign up at the PST website for available options.
MFD makes its best effort to send letters of acceptance or denial throughout our process to all of our interested candidates.
Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium
The Missoula Fire Department is a member of the Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium along with other Montana state fire departments including Belgrade, Big Sky, Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Great Falls, Havre, Helena, Miles City, Lockwood Fire District, Kalispell, Frenchtown Rural Fire, and the Missoula Rural Fire District.
The Montana Firefighter Testing Consortium has contracted with Public Service Testing (PST) to complete its testing criteria. PST will be offering and hosting both the physical and written portions in multiple formats and locations.
Applicants who successfully complete the testing may submit applications with any of the participating departments (application deadlines and requirements may vary for each department).
Additional Testing Information
Each participating consortium department conducts additional selection processes in conjunction with the testing process.
- A fee is required.
- Please check the PST website for additional information.
The City of Missoula and the Missoula Fire Department is an equal employment/affirmative action employer.
- If you are interested in employment with MFD and are interested in participating in a ride-along, please contact us at 406-552-6210 to request approval by one of our chiefs.
- Additional informational items regarding the test and testing process are available on the Public Safety Testing Website.
- MFD's interview process is fluid based on the testing process and hiring needs.
- Additional questions about the City of Missoula's hiring processes should be directed to the City of Missoula Human Resources Department at 406-552-6130.