Rose Park on 700 Brooks Avenuenue
The American Rose Society, as a memorial to WWII casualties, established the Memorial Rose Garden in 1947. In 1988, a heroic-sized bronze sculpture of a winged male figure lifting a young soldier from the earth, created by Deborah Coperhaven, was installed, honoring Vietnam veterans. Seven bronze plaques list the names of Montana Vietnam veterans. A marble plaque at the base of the sculpture reads, "Together we flew to battle, Hearts and blades pounding, Sharing the fear and pain...Parted yet together, We faced the unknown. You Death, I the future." - Tom Crosser, 1988 Photo courtesy of Missoulian
Honoring veterans of WWI and WWII. Located at the southeast corner of the Missoula County Courthouse lawn, on the corner of Broadway and Ryman, this cast bronze sculpture of a First World Way soldier was created by J. Pauling in 1921. A 1927 plaque lists WWI veterans and a 1948 plaque lists WWII Veterans. It is very similar, to, but distinct from, the widely dispersed piece by E. M. Visquesney entitled "Spirit of the American Doughboy". Photo courtesy of Liz Dye
Fallen Soldier Memorial
University of Montana Campus
The Fallen Soldier Memorial is located on the northeast side of the University of Montana campus. It features five bronze statues by Lincoln artist Rick Rowley. The names of the service members from Montana who have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan are engraved on granite markers surrounding the memorial. The Fallen Soldier Memorial is a joint project between UM and Grateful Nation Montana.
Photo courtesy of University of Montana photographer Todd Goodrich
3400 Captain Rawn Way
The Rocky Mountain Museum of Military History promotes the commemoration and study of the U.S. armed services, from the Frontier Period to the War on Terrorism. The Museum strives to impart a greater understanding of the roles played by America's service men and service-women through this period of dramatic global change.
Photo and information courtesy of the Rocky Mountain Museum
The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
3400 Captain Rawn Way
Fort Missoula was established as a permanent military post in 1877 and built in response to requests of local townspeople and settlers for protection in the event of conflict with western Montana Indian tribes. It was intended as a major outpost for the region; however, area residents also were quite aware of the payroll, contracts, and employment opportunities Fort Missoula would provide. Fort Missoula never had walls; rather, it was an "open fort," a design common for posts located west of the Mississippi. Open forts required troops to take the offensive and actively patrol the areas to which they were assigned. Photo and information courtesy of the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
The Western Montana State Veterans Cemetery
1911 Tower Street
The Veterans Cemetery is new to Montana and administered by the National Cemetery Administration (NCA).
The NCA's mission is: "NCA honors Veterans and their families with final resting places in national shrines and with lasting tributes that commemorate their service and sacrifice to our Nation."
Photo and information courtesy of the Montana Department of Military Affairs